Vegan Carrot Jalapeño Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 pound (about 8) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed and sliced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in 1 cup water for 1 hour
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and celery. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and jalapeño.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir to combine. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered until carrots are completely soft, about 30 minutes.
- Drain water from the raw cashews.
- In an upright blender, combine cashews and 3/4 cup water. Blend until smooth. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the carrots are soft, remove the soup from the heat and use a immersion blender to blend smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can blend the soup smooth in an upright blender in three batches. Be careful not to fill the upright blender too full with hot liquids while blending. If using an upright blender, transfer soup black to the pot and stir in the cashew cream.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Soup will last, in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 7 days.