Flourless Coconut Almond Bars
- 1/2 c. coconut sugar (or sucanat, or brown sugar)
- 1/3 c. butter (you can use coconut oil, but you’ll need to keep them refrigerated)
- 1 c. almond meal (or almond flour)
- 2 Tb. ground flax
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. honey
- 2 Tb. almond meal or flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 c. dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 9-inch square pan with parchment (or foil – you’ll need the overhang to remove the bars).
- Make the first layer by mixing the sugar and butter until creamy and then adding the almond meal and flax, stirring to combine well. Press into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes until brown around the edges. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the second layer by beating the eggs in a medium bowl. Add all the remaining second layer ingredients, mixing well and pour onto the partially baked first layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes more, or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 24 bars.
- For the drizzle, melt the chocolate chips with the oil and use a spoon to drizzle over the bars evenly (you can do this before cutting or after cutting, it’s up to you).
Makes 24 bars