Easy Tuscan Bean Soup
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow summer squash, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 quart vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 cups chopped kale, ribs removed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 6 quart or larger Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, zucchini, and squash. Sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme and rosemary. Cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in the broth, beans, and tomatoes. Bring the contents to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and add the chopped kale. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender* to partially puree the soup, leaving some chunks of beans vegetables for texture.
- Add the salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve topped with Parmesan or Dubliner cheese and a side of crusty bread.