- 1 whole chicken, bone-in, skin on and each breast cut in half for smaller pieces
- mixed mushrooms, like crimini and shiitake
- 1 onion, diced medium
- 1 small yellow and red pepper, diced medium
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, shaved
- pitted kalamata olives, a large handful
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can of tiny whole tomatoes or if not available just whole tomatoes.
- Assorted herbs, parsley, basil, oregano and thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and sprinkled oregano.
- Heat a heavy cast iron skillet, drizzled with olive oil.
- Place chicken skin side down and do not move it until it reaches a deep golden brown and it’s easy to turn, brown other side for a few minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add vegetables, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, a few twigs of thyme, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add wine (optional) and let it reduce.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes.
- Toss in 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and chopped fresh basil.
- Place the chicken back into the pan and sink into the juices.
- Simmer on low, stove top, for a couple of hours or until chicken falls off the bone. Uncovered.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve with cooked pasta, polenta or warm crusty bread.