Makes 12 servings
kids love these colorful peppers — they resemble lasagna in a pepper!
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Rimmed baking sheet, greased
|12||small to medium red, yellow or orange bell peppers||12|
|2 cups||2% cottage cheese, drained||500 mL|
|1⁄3 cup||freshly grated Parmesan cheese||75 mL|
|1 cup||quinoa, rinsed||250 mL|
|2 tsp||canola oil extra-lean||10 mL|
|1 lb||ground beef||500 g|
|1 cup||chopped onion|
|1 cup||chopped mushrooms|
|2||cloves garlic, minced||2|
|1 1⁄2 cups||tomato sauce|
|1⁄2 cup||chopped drained canned water chestnuts|
|1⁄2 tsp||dried oregano|
|1⁄2 tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1⁄2 cup||shredded Cheddar cheese125||125 mL|
- Remove the stem and seeds from peppers. Make an opening at the top of each pepper large enough to allow you to fill the pepper. If peppers won’t sit upright, remove a small slice from the bottom, being sure not to create an opening. Set peppers aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and Parmesan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine quinoa and 2 cups (500 mL) water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove cover and let cool for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a bowl and set aside. Drain off all but 2 tsp (10 mL) fat from the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Return beef and accumulated juices to the pan. Stir in tomato sauce, water chestnuts, oregano, basil and pepper to taste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in quinoa and remove from heat.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into peppers, filling them just less than halfway. Divide cottage cheese mixture evenly on top, then fill peppers to the top with quinoa mixture and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the filling comes out hot.